Where Is It?
Glen Agar is a long skinny neighbourhood just to the east of EringageCentennial-West Deane intersected by a ravine park where Mimico Creek fows on the western border and a hydro corridor down the center.
It runs from Kipling Ave in the east to Martingrove Road in the west bounded by Princess Margaret Boulevard in the north and Rathburn Road in the south.
The Glen Agar community full of bungalows and 1960s homes with slightly smaller lots and generally more affordable homes.
It takes in Princess Margaret and Princess Gardens, the latter a lovely park as well as Ravencrest Park and Glen Agar Park.
What Is It Like?
The area has a rich history. According to Denise Harris, writing for the Etobicoke Historical Society, in 1802, Andrew Bigham was granted the west 64 acres of a 100 acre farm lot (lot 12, concession I) on the north side of today’s Rathburn Road, east of Martin Grove Rd.
In 1811, he married Mary Cleveland of Toronto Township. Originally they lived in a log cabin on the property, but ca. 1840 they built a large 1½ storey house of riverstone on a hill overlooking the Mimico Creek valley.
When Andrew died in 1843, the house passed to his son Samuel, who was born on the property ca. 1827. In 1849, Samuel married Eliza Ash. In the 1850s, Samuel purchased the east 36 acres of the lot, so the property now ran east all the way to Kipling Av. He also purchased 14 acres on the northwest corner of the lot to the south.
They had no children and after their deaths the house was inherited by their niece, Mary Ann Bigham Agar. Her son, William John, and his wife Ida were the next owners, followed by their daughter, Irene Agar McIlwain. Shortly after WW II, the property was sold, after remaining in the Bigham/Agar family for over 140 years and was developed to become the Glen Agar subdivision.
The demographics for Glen Agar are wrapped in Princess-Rosethorn which takes in a much larger area and thus aren’t truly representative of the area. The larger area breaks down as 51 per cent working adults 25 to 64, youth 15 to 24, 18 per cent, children under 15 16 per cent and 17 per cent seniors. English is overwhelmingly spoken at home with 4.2 per cent of residents coming from Italy, Ukraine (3.4 per cent), Poland (2.6), Korea, (2.2 per cent) and Serbia (2 per cent).
It’s a small neighbourhood consisting almost entirely of residences and there only one school:
St. Gregory Elementary.
St. Gregory Catholic School educates approximately 700 students per year in classes ranging from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 8. The school is formed by Catholic beliefs, traditions and teachings.